Connex can add sales tax as a line-item called "SalesTax" to each transaction. This is enabled by default and useful if:
- Your tax rate changes, based on roof top location. QuickBooks tax codes are ideal, if you mapped by county or state.
- You use a third-party service, like Avalara, to manage sales tax and managing tax in QuickBooks is redundant.
How will it affect my books?
In QuickBooks, go to reports. Next, click company and financial, then click balance sheet standard. You will see the sales tax payable:
How do I enable this feature?
- Login to Cloud Cart Connector.
- At the My Connections page, select the appropriate connection under Manage Connections, then click Manage on the right.
- Expand the Sales Tax drop-down.
- Click Add Tax as a line item to enable this feature.
- Finally, click Save Settings and Sync Now to save the changes.
What does it look like?
Here is an order using the sales tax item as an item of type sales tax.
What if I have tax codes in QuickBooks and wish to map them?
No problem! You can easily map existing QuickBooks desktop sales tax codes within Connex. For U.S. based customers, click here to see how. For Canadian customers, click here. Finally, for international customer that require VAT, please click here.
Connex adds an item called "SalesTax." Can I change the item?
You most certainly can, yes. To do so, you must add a rule to the Rules Engine (Gear > Rules Engine) to map an alternative line-item. In this example, we will add an item called Amazon Sales Tax for any Amazon order with tax:
- Go to the Connex rules engine.
- Add this rule, which sales map Amazon Sales Tax for selling channels matching Amazon.
If I add tax as a line item, why do all the lines say non-taxable?
By default, Connex assumes there is no tax on the order when you map tax as a line item. If you marked the lines as taxable and mapped a taxable item on the bottom right, you would get duplicate tax. Here is an example of duplicate sales tax.
Some of our customers send no tax code to QuickBooks, which causes QuickBooks to use a default tax code. This can be found in the customer record or the sales tax preferences under edit > preferences > sales tax.
You can override the tax codes on the line items. For more information, read this guide.